DIGI 110 Lab
Video Cameras - 60s Interview
Due Before Next Class
STANDARD (75% marks):
By completing the standard portion of this lab students will demonstrate:
Ability to work with the video equipment in a group
Create an interview with three basic shots - each member of the group makes 3 shots.
Describe what they have done.
ADVANCED (+25% Marks):
By completing the advanced portion of this lab students will demonstrate:
The group (used for all in group) will create at least two extra shots that show the concept of the 180 degree rule.
Describe how you demonstrated the 180 degree rule.
Standard Lab - The Work
- Partner with your neighbours. Groups of 3 to 5 depending on how many cameras/tripods are available.
- Obtain one Video Camera and Tripod.
- EACH student in the group DIRECTS AND RECORDS at least 1 MINUTE of interview between two people.
- EACH student will complete the three shots below before switching.
Shot One - Standing Question
- Setup the tripod and video camera in a location of your choice.
- Film the Interviewee standing and answering a Question (eg. "Why did you choose to take this class")
Shot Two (B-Roll - Talking)
- Get a shot of the Interviewee and Interviewer together talking.
Shot Three (B-Roll - Intro)
- Get a shot of the Interviewee approaching the Camera from a distance. No audio required. (maybe exiting a door of a building or walking up a path toward and through the camera)
- Once one set of students has completed the three shots. Now switch roles so that a new student is recording/directing. You can switch locations and interviewer/interviewee as well.
Here are different person camera angles/shots:
- Head Shot (shoulders->up)
- Perspective (show Interview-ee from behind head of Interviewer and vice-versa)
- Standing/Sitting Full Body of Interview-ee
- Standing/Sitting Full Body of both people while moving.
- Create a scene in one or two shots that demonstrates breaking or showing the 180 rule (crossing the axis)
ALL LABS - DOCUMENT and DESCRIBE
- When you’re finished return to class. EVERY student should create a short word or text document, 1-2 paragraphs, describing what you did. Submit this document to the Drop Box.
- If you did the Advanced portion, make sure you describe how you demonstrated the 180 rule.